Making the unit look like it was chipped out of ice was a challenge, first I had to figure out a way of emulating ice then I had to adapt it to the case. At this point I decided to make a rough model of the design so I made a box from clear acrylic and attacked it with a whole lot of modeling clay so I could get a rough idea of what it would look like. The finished model looked more like the Flintstone’s TV than ice so I wisely scrapped the model and decided to wing it. I had been discussing this idea with my friend Kyle at south bay Plastics who is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to plastic’s. We had decided the best way to accomplish the idea was to form it out of clear casting resin, The next obstacle was finding a way to make it look like ice. We spent the next week or so experimenting with several ways of creating ice, eventually was came up with the crumpled foil method.
FULL STORY @ PHEATON (http://www.pheaton.com/cols/frostbyte.shtml)